Monday, July 12, 2010

Anchorage

My time in Anchorage was brief. I did however get a chance to purchase a new camera, which I'm excited about. 


I got to check out the Anchorage Museum and they had some wonderful paintings of Denali. The "technical" name of the mountain is Mt. McKinley, but I much prefer the native Athabaskan name of Denali which means "The High One."


I also enjoyed seeing these kayaks that the native Alaskans built long ago.
Speaking of kayak building: I haven't made progress with mine! For one, my western red cedar that I'm getting from Hoonah is delayed. And for the other reason I don't have a good place to build. Because I could start without the cedar.  I would place all the forms on the strongback, but I don't have anywhere to do that at the moment. I will have a good place in September though, so I'm just hoping things go smoothly soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment