Sunday, July 12, 2009

Salmon berries, fireweed, and a canoe project









Hello! Soon I hope to be starting a project that may take a while. A few weeks ago I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to do a big project, something like building a canoe. Well, I bought a book on Amazon (sold by the Idaho Youth Ranch) and it turns out building a canoe is exactly what I want to do.

Currently, I'm in a quandary finding the best place to build a 16 foot canoe. In a dormitory building close by me, there is a spacious room that is rarely used, save for me to play the grand piano which it contains. The room has ample space to build, but getting the canoe out may be a problem.

Other than that, I've been getting ready to build by tracing out the forms onto plywood and buying some of the tools the task will require. Hopefully, this project will be underway soon!

In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of some salmon berries and fireweed. The fireweed is a good indicator of how much summer is left. As the blooming makes its way up the stalk, the summer approaches its end. (That could probably be better worded.)

Also, there is a picture of a totem pole depicting a man from Japan that took many photos of Sitka and took the story and photos back to his people in Japan. You can pick him out on the bottom of the pole with a camera lens in the middle. There are also two flags carved into either side of the pole: Alaska's flag and Japan's.

5 comments:

  1. Are Salmon berries tasty? Can you bring some home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're funny. this post reads like it was written 100 years ago. You just have to put a "the" before amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do all this, yes. They are very tasty! Not as good as raspberries or blackberries though. Mmm... maybe. Thank you, Mike. I laughed when I re-read it and put "the" in front of Amazon, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, when was that totem made? That's a big deal isn't it? When I was in Alaska they said the most important place was at the bottom of the pole.

    It goes to show how much we know. We have it backwards when we say "at the bottom of the totem pole" ha.

    ReplyDelete