Friday, May 8, 2009

Juneau

I know it has been a while since my last update, and I will have to start getting into the routine gradually I suppose.  I feel like a travel blog is easier to maintain because moving on from place to place urges one to write it down while it is fresh in the mind.

Moving on... I visited Juneau in April to attend the Juneau Folk Festival.  I had a great time.  The head of the organization I work for (SAGA) is based in Juneau and Marilyn, the lady that interviewed me for the position, found a young woman I could stay with for the weekend, Michelle.  Instead of going to the Folk Festival on the Friday I got into Juneau, Michelle invited me to a barbecue on her friend's 40 foot yacht.  I wasn't going to pass that up!
The next day I watched many, many folk music acts.  People from all over Alaska came to perform and watch. I never would've guessed it, but I actually didn't want to hear another banjo or mandolin on Sunday. However, by Monday I was asking my mom to send my banjo to me.
Here are some pictures from Juneau.

A picture from the yacht.
Juneau
Also, I had the chance to see the Mendenhall Glacier.  Marilyn gave me a ride out there.  It was really cool but I didn't get that close to it.  I was thinking that since all the glaciers are melting they wouldn't want tourists speeding up the process by breathing on them, so I kept my distance.  However, when I got back to work I saw my co-worker Ben's pictures from the same glacier and his pictures were much cooler.  He walked right in between some of the glacier walls.  I was jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment